Wholesale telecom providers are entities that own or operate a telecom network and sell network capacity to other telecom service providers.
Buying from a wholesale telecom provider can create connectivity for businesses or individuals at locations they may not otherwise have access to. This is because—at a high level—wholesale telecom providers make those services accessible without connecting directly to a major piece of infrastructure.
So, what else is there to know about wholesale telecom providers? What are the benefits? And which tech assets are used to help find wholesale connections?
The answers to these questions and more can be found below.
The Benefits of Wholesale Connectivity
Wholesale telecom providers are an integral piece of the telecom industry. Without wholesale connections, individuals and businesses would not be able to have access to connections. At the most basic level, wholesale connections expand availability and offer bandwidth so businesses can have high-speed internet or data service.
At a high level, the process for acquiring wholesale connectivity works in the following way:
- A solution provider will purchase bandwidth, market access, servicing, last mile access, and functionally through a wholesale provider in order to resell in a retail market.
- From there, the solution provider—also known as the reseller—will interconnect that last mile access into their own network to inject their own internet services.
- In certain circumstances, the solution provider simply resells the wholesale provider’s internet service.
- From there, connections are sold to businesses and consumers. Most commonly, these services are provided to other telecommunication companies, cable companies, government agencies, media outlets, and educational institutions.
So, why is it necessary for wholesale providers to exist? There are a few benefits to this service, including:
Access to services across a large territory or footprint
Here’s an example: A telecom company that provides service for people and businesses in Seattle has a local business client in Tacoma. For that client to receive connectivity, the telecom provider would need to purchase wholesale broadband access from another telecom company that owns the service area in Tacoma.
That’s where wholesale providers come in. They can deliver services to a client’s business and secure their internet connection and local area network.
Increased competition in the market
Telecom companies are frequently in a state of competition with businesses in the same market. To remain competitive, telecom providers will purchase wholesale capacity and sell the connectivity to businesses. This is because wholesale connections are cheaper, easier, and quicker to purchase than the alternative, which is to install fiber optic cables, coaxial, and DSL lines, and build the necessary infrastructure.
How the Right Tech Assets Help Find Wholesale Connections
So, now that you know the benefits of wholesale telecom providers, how do you go about purchasing their connections?
You need the right tech assets that assist in locating the areas they provide services to.
Using our tool, CarrierAccess, providers experience a simplified, automated process to obtain costs from underlying wholesale providers.
Among its many benefits, CarrierAccess features:
- Facilitation of costs and availability data from wholesale providers that you have relationships with
- Replacement of spreadsheets and outdated systems of data collection
- Elimination of juggling multiple portals
- Real-time, location-specific information from multiple providers on a single platform with a single request consisting of multiple addresses, terms, and port speeds
- Easily managed service catalogs coupled with a myriad of other providers
- Time saving through automated information and the ability to integrate into existing workflows with readily available APIs
- Shortened quoting cycles from hours or days down to just a few minutes
Connect to Wholesale Telecom Providers with MasterStream
You’re looking for the best connectivity solution, and we’re here to help you find it. By using our suite of tools, you can access thousands of connectivity options within minutes and with just a few clicks.
We’re all about making solutions simple and tailored to your exact needs.
So, what do you say? Request a demo today and find out why so many telecom professionals consider MasterStream ERP to be a major asset to their business.